Change of Registration Class - Information and Change of Registration Forms

Change of registration class is governed by the bylaws, Part 2 – Registration, s. 136 to s. 140.

Most change of registration class applications are approved by the registrar.  If certain criteria are not met, the change will require the approval of the registration committee. 

A registrant who wishes to change their registration class, cancel their registration through resignation, or to reinstate to their previous class of active or inactive class of registration must provide the registrar with the appropriate change of registration form and pay the applicable change in registration class fee as prescribed in the bylaws, Part 2 – Registration and the applicable Annual Renewal Fee as prescribed in the bylaws, Part 1 – Governance, Schedule “C” pro-rated to the quarter calendar year.

The active practice classes of registration are Private Practice (PP), Specialty Private Practice (SPP), Public Sector (PS), Temporary for an external licensed veterinarian (TEMP) and Life (LIFE). At the time of registration an active class of registrant may be granted full, provisional or limited registration.

The inactive classes of registration are non-practicing (NP), Retired (RET), Life (LIFE) and Suspended (SUSP). A registrant in an inactive class of registration may not be granted provisional or limited registration.

The registration year extends from January 1st to December 31st.

Administrative Fee

Anytime a registrant changes their active registration class or changes to the non-practicing  class of registration a change in registration class fee of $262.50 ($250 + $12.50 GST ) is charged. This fee is waived during the last quarter of the licensing year, which corresponds with the Annual Renewal Fee, or when an inactive registrant returns to a class of active registration within 3 years.


Cancellation by resignation: You will be issued a refund of your annual registration fees prorated to the quarter of the registration year in which you resign. For example, if you resign in the 2nd quarter of the year (i.e., April 01 to June 30), you will receive a refund for 1/2 year's dues.

Change of registration class:

You will be issued a refund as indicated above, minus the applicable registration fee, prorated to the quarter, for your new registration class


Changes of registration class

If a registrant wishes to change to another active practice class, the CVBC requires submission of the appropriate change in class of registration form as well as documentation that you meet the requirements of the active class that you wish to be registered in.

Reinstatement to active practice from a non-practicing, retired or resignation 

A registrant who wishes to return to an active class of registration after being in the non-practicing or retired class of registration, or a former registrant who resigned, must provide the CVBC with the appropriate change in class of registration form including the supporting documentation and information. Additional requirements may include:

  • Bylaw Exam . A registrant may be required to pass the CVBC Bylaw exam before their change of status application is approved.
  • Active clinical experience is defined to mean at least 1 full year in total over the past 5 yrs. If you do not meet that threshold, the registrar may not grant administrative approval and you will have to satisfy the registration committee that your clinical skills and knowledge meet current standards.

Change of Registration Forms below:

1. Change of registration from an active class to non-practicing or to retired registration, or to cancel registration.

Please complete and return the ‘Change of Registration Form from an Active Class of Registration to Non-Practicing or to Retired Registration, or to Cancel Registration’.

2. Change of registration to active registration from non-practicing or retired, or to reinstate.

Please complete and return the ‘Change of Registration Form to Active Registration from Non-Practicing, Retired or to Reinstate’.

3. Change of registration from one active class of registration to another active class of registration.

Please complete and return the ‘Change of Registration Form between Active Classes of Registration’.

Who to contact at the CVBC

For further information on changing of registration class including fees to be paid and to submit the appropriate ‘Change of Registration Form’, please contact the Registration Assistant at the CVBC office, Airport Executive Park Building 7 Suite 210, 10991 Shellbridge Way Richmond, BC V6X 3C6. Phone: 1-800-463-5399 or 604-929-7090. Fax: 604-929-7095.  

Download Acrobat Document


Download Acrobat Document


Download Acrobat Document